[DeTomaso] 351C Crankshaft Question

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 17 17:54:02 EDT 2008

I'm trying to make sure I have this straight.  I called Fontana, and what they described was a 0.158 ring that fits behind the timing gear to space the timing gear out to correctly align the crank gear with the cam gear.  But when I told them I was using a Yates belt drive on a Bryant Nascar crank, they said I didn't need the spacer.  I ended up concluding that I need to mock up everything and see if the gear are aligned, or off by a little over 1/8 inch.  All of this assumes that the timing gear seats against the step on the snout, and the damper seats against the timing gear, is that correct?

I also am wondering about where the end of the snout is relative to the step inside the damper bore.  I pulled the damper on, and the end of the snout is lined up with the step inside the damper, which seems good for tightening.  If I have to use a spacer, then the end of the crank snout will sit 0.158 behind the step, and when I tightened the damper bolt, it seems like it may warp the washer under it?

Ken