[DeTomaso] 351C Crankshaft Question

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 17:29:36 EDT 2008

> Does anyone know if this is a correct 351C crankshaft, or is it one of those
> Windsor cranks that's been machined to fit a Cleveland, but require some kind
> of spacer arrangement to mount the dampener?

It requires the snout spacer.  More importantly it is designed for 6" rods
so you won't have to turn the OD down to clear the piston skirts.  Many
of the Windsor with 351C main cranks are designed for 6.2" rods and
when used in a 9.2" deck block with 6" rods, there is a piston skirt
clearance issue which requires the crank OD be reduced which then upsets
the balance requiring expensive Mallory metal and labor.

The SCAT 9000 series cast crank is the only one that I'm aware of
that uses a true 351C snout and does not require a spacer.  The rest
of the SCAT forged steel cranks don't have the OD problem but they
do require the spacer.

Carrillo (via their K1 subsidary) is making 351C main forged steel cranks
in 3.5", 3.75" and 3.9" strokes.  They are designed for 6.125" rods and
internal balance (the Eagle and SCAT cranks are 28.2 oz-in external).
They do require the snout spacer and are $729 from flatlander last I
checked.

Dan Jones