[DeTomaso] What is the widest wheel I can run . . .

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Jul 14 15:58:56 EDT 2008

In a message dated 7/14/08 11:22:43 AM, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> On a stock bodied Pantera L?   It has 15x7 and 15x8 (front/rear) now.   How
> wide can I go in front versus how wide in the rear? I've also read all the
> articles on offset and backspacing, and I'm still confused.  What is the real
> difference and what do I want in an aftermarket wheel to fit properly?

For race only, you can use very light 3-piece modular wheels. These are
dangerous on the street and need frequent inspection but for racing where there are
less road hazards and less run time, they work fine.
An 8" wide wheel in front (maybe an 8-1/2" wide one) will fit depending on
the tires size. The wheel diameter doesn't seem to make that much difference-
15, 16 and 17" dia wheels all take a 245-40 or 245-50 as the widest possible
front rubber, and even that requires some fender rolling and hammer-contouring on
most cars. The right front may need more contouring than the left due to the
average Pantera being a bit asymmetric.
The rears are more forgiving- 12 or 13" wide wheels will often clear (stock
on LeMans GR-4s). The most critical point is the lower pivot shaft to inner rim
clearances, and on some, the inner rear tire sidewall to lower pivot shaft
nut. Hall once had some wide 3-piece wheels made that had dual 'steps' in the
rim to clear a stock rear suspension.
Trying to maximize tire sizes often leads to tears. One go-faster Nor-Cal
member carefully selected a set of max-diameter Hoosier race tires that barely
fit his stock-bodied Pantera, and during a track event, he got 3 laps before
tire deflection in turns rubbed 'something' and tore open an inner rear sidewall.
A long tow for 2-1/2 minutes of running.
I'd e-mail the elusive Dan Courtney on what he's running on his race-Pantera;
as I remember, it had monster tires and a big-block Chevy.   Jegs, Summitt
etc all sell a device from 'Percys' that bolts to an axle or spindle, and when
swept around will simulate a mounted tire of any aspect-ratio. The 'wheel
diameter' and aspect ratio of the 'tire' are all fully adjustable. I've not been
curious enough to buy one. Good luck- J Deryke