[DeTomaso] Weirdness with my Cleveland ...

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Jul 11 02:27:42 EDT 2008

In a message dated 7/10/08 2:48:40 PM, guson at home.se writes:

> The roll pin acts as a "mechanical fuse". Replacing it with something
> substantially stronger will cause the next weakest part to fail.

Tomas is correct. And as it turns out, the next weakest place in the Ford
oiling system is the 7" long hexagonal driveshaft between the bottom of the
distributor drive gear and the oil pump. Once the shear-pin is upgraded, stock hex
driveshafts twist in half; they only look like an allen wrench! Moroso, Ford
Racing and others sell hex-driveshafts in 4130-steel for $15 that fixes that
problem. Then all thats left is the hard particles leaving deep scratches and
gouges in the cast iron pump housing that reduces oil pressure but keeps on
working. Good luck- J Deryke