[DeTomaso] Erratic Window Operation

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Jul 2 17:31:24 EDT 2008

In a message dated 7/1/08 10:39:26 AM, pvperry at earthlink.net writes:

> The other day I put my driver's side window up and just as it went
> completely closed I heard a "Pop" sound in the door. Since then the window works
> erratically in that when I press the window switch down the window will go down
> an inch or two then act like it is jammed. If I then turn the "Manually
> Operated" crank a little bit, then press the window switch down again the window
> will go down a couple of more inches and so on until it is all the way down.

The OEM plastic gear broke, as all will eventually; FWIW, yours lasted longer
than most. You'll need to remove the entire window mechanism, 'cause the
screws for accessing the drive gears face the outside of the door and even if you
somehow teased them out, you still need to clean out the 38-yr-old grease
thats turned to stone. Do yourself a favor and replace BOTH window gears plus the
identical one in the headlight raise/lower mechanism (3 total needed), with
bronze gears available from all the vendors as drop-in replacements. Or replace
the entire drive system with something faster/lighter/quieter- the vendors
carry such. Good luck- J DeRyke