[DeTomaso] Fuel Line Question

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri Jan 25 15:52:29 EST 2008

In a message dated 1/25/08 12:11:39 PM, artstephens at charter.net writes:
snip.....
> They must be drilling and tapping the bung at the bottom of the tank to
> 1/2" NPT?

Forest Goodheart once posted that a 1/2" pipe fitting was close enough that
it could be cranked into the tank boss with pipe tape on it and it would seal
tight without even tapping the boss. Have you tried getting your OEM plug out?
Shops use an air gun set on 'medium'; trying to wrench it out can flex and
crack the very thin bottom of the tank but the constant small banging of an air
wrench supposedly zips it right out with no tank damage.

I agree with those who say its bad news to draw fuel from the very bottom,
and I'll add that its VERY bad design to hang a chrstmas-tree of adapter
fittings down off the tank. The tank bottom is thin enough that hitting any road
debris at that point could tear the tank clear open.... guaranteeing a 'Mad-Dog'
type fire back there. Good luck- J Deryke