[DeTomaso] Grounding Circuit Recommendations

Scott Couchman scottcouchman at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 3 21:40:16 EST 2008

More good stuff about grounding. This is very interesting. When I bought my car in April, the seller had just installed a new Fluidyne aluminum radiator less than 9 months earlier. I drove the car home and discovered leaks on both sides of the radiator where the tubes meet the side tanks. There didn't really seem to be any indication of physical damage and I eventually replaced the entire radiator with a new one. I'm wondering now if the leaks could have been related to electrochemical action????? Thanks again. Great stuff! Scott

JDeRyke at aol.com wrote: There's another possible benefit here besides a little better ignition. A few years ago, I noted an electric cell being generated inside our cooling system by using a sensitive VOM (a Fluke 80204B). I stuck one probe in the water/anti-freeze inside the reservoir while grounding the second probe (0-200mV scale), and read about 20 millivoilts due solely to electrochemical action. Then I turned on the ignition (engine off) and noted a jump in voltage...   pulling fuses one at a time, I located one circuit that was not adequately grounded, and concentrated my efforts on components on that circuit. The result was a more stable indicated water temperature on the stock gauge.
 This was not my idea- the Corvette guys with their almost all-aluminum cooling systems have long had such problems, and their rule of thumb is, if over 70 millivolts shows on a sensitive VOM, it means your engine is dissolving unless you do something; sacrificial anodes, better anti-corrosion additives in your anti-freeze etc. Something to think about- J Deryke

Start the year off right.  Easy ways to stay in shape.