[DeTomaso] Grounding Circuit Recommendations

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Jan 3 18:29:10 EST 2008

There's another possible benefit here besides a little better ignition. A few
years ago, I noted an electric cell being generated inside our cooling system
by using a sensitive VOM (a Fluke 80204B). I stuck one probe in the
water/anti-freeze inside the reservoir while grounding the second probe (0-200mV
scale), and read about 20 millivoilts due solely to electrochemical action. Then I
turned on the ignition (engine off) and noted a jump in voltage...   pulling
fuses one at a time, I located one circuit that was not adequately grounded, and
concentrated my efforts on components on that circuit. The result was a more
stable indicated water temperature on the stock gauge.
This was not my idea- the Corvette guys with their almost all-aluminum
cooling systems have long had such problems, and their rule of thumb is, if over 70
millivolts shows on a sensitive VOM, it means your engine is dissolving unless
you do something; sacrificial anodes, better anti-corrosion additives in your
anti-freeze etc. Something to think about- J Deryke