[DeTomaso] Shop Design

Jim Hendrickson chendric at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 25 17:39:20 EST 2008

"oh, yeah don't forget to build it TWICE as large as you think you need to!"

Maybe. You can always add Butler Buildings for more storage. 1500 - 2000 sq.
ft. heated and air conditioned should make a decent work area.

I know of three other people that have houses built like ours. All four have
garages or carports at the main floor level for regular parking use. Two
have driveways to both upper and lower garages/carport. Two even have sewer
hookups for their RVs. One did not supervise his contractor close enough. He
has a 14 X 30 strip under his kitchen/breakfast room/laundry room that does
not have a floor. The dirt floor is only 16" above his basement floor! If he
had another 2 1/2 feet of dirt scooped out and a floor poured, he would have
had another 420 sq. ft. of shop.

The big mistake on ours was only having one overhead door in the basement
and not putting a floor under the laundry room. That would have made a nice
storage & air compressor room. Our next one will have two 10 ft wide doors
in the basement and two 10 ft wide doors on a 30 X 30 garage at main floor
level. I am considering having a wheelchair accessible house built, so
basement will be all mine and wife will never have to go down there.

One friend has the 2 1/2 car garage for regular use, the basement shop with
12 ft door, and two barns for storage. The basement shop only has one large
work bay for automotive use and the rest is woodshop. One barn is full of
Minis, Midas, Mokes, and various other British cars. The double decker bus
sits outside. His wife's BMW Mini and his Ginetta get the garage. A huge
Jaguar sedan currently occupies the work bay in the basement.