[DeTomaso] ZF Drips

Mike Thomas mbefthomas at comcast.net
Tue Feb 19 21:34:58 EST 2008

Last year when I had my motor out, I pulled the bottom plate off the ZF to
check for a safety wire kit.  I put the plate back on with a couple of new
gaskets, and tightened it down in a progressive manner going back and forth
from one side to the other until the bolts were hand tight, then tightened
the two long bolts across the bottom from the side plates.

It's been fine (free of drips) for the most part since then, but now with
the cold weather and a number of heat cycles, I noticed quite a few drips
under there a few days back.

Question: is there a torque spec for the bottom plate bolts, and a
tightening procedure for the bottom plate bolts and the long side-plate
bolts that should follow to re-tighten them different from what I have done,
or are they just due for a re-snugging?

Thanks in advance.

Mike Thomas
74 L #6328