[DeTomaso] California driver Pantera for sale--full review

Douglas Kelm dakelm at qwest.net
Mon Feb 11 22:50:31 EST 2008

Sure, a car that spent all it's life in the rust belt and was driven at all in the winter or early spring should probably be avoided. But to simply say that a car from a northern climate is suspect, without considering the details of the car's history, is irresponsible and assumes facts not in evidence, in lawyer speak. Anyone who cannot tell a rust bucket from a corrosion free car has no business even contemplating buying a Pantera! Plus, there is no guarantee that all CA Panteras are free of the tin worm! The fact that I traveled to CA to buy my car was a COINCIDENCE. I would have gladly bought a car closer to home if it proved to be a rust free vehicle. Many northern Panteras have been imported from salt free regions and NEVER subjected to winter/spring driving. In fact, you could easily make the case that a rust belt Pantera that had not been subjected to salty roads has a better chance of being corrosion free than a CA or FL (or any other coastal state) car that had lived a seaside (salt air) existence. If a buyer wants to categorocally reject these cars, far be from me to pound some sense into his head.

Doug (still love ya, bro) Kelm

Well, remember that people from all over come TO California to buy these cars (you included!).

The fact that your car was in Minnesota was a bummer on several counts.  Even though it was a California car most of its life, there is an inherent mistrust of anything that comes from the northern part of the USA.  I've seen Michigan cars that were virtually translucent with rust.  Minnesota's reputation is no better. :<(