[DeTomaso] Engine Hatch Repair

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Feb 4 01:50:12 EST 2008

In a message dated 2/3/08 7:45:49 PM, tonydigi at optonline.net writes:

> What do you guys recommend to repair/replace the floating nut plates that
> secure the firewall hatch bolts?  I have a few that are either cross-threaded,
> stripped, or turn within their retainer.

Its not that serious, Tony! The square nuts are held inside a sheet metal
arrangement that can, with care, be bent open at the bottom. This allows a
damaged nut to drop out and you can then re-tap it to a slightly larger SAE thread
or insert a new nut- not necessarily a metric, or even a square nut if you
rebend the opening closed, then 'squash' the sides with a vice-grip pliers a bit.
I've had to do this to several cars and it works fine if you're careful. And
really, you only need the screws on each of the top two corners to work, so rob
the nuts out of the screw-holes you don't use. Good luck- J Deryke