[DeTomaso] Battery question

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Dec 6 18:48:55 EST 2008

In a message dated 12/6/08 13 43 49, bjbstewart at yahoo.com writes:

> I just put a new Optima Red top battery in the P-car and checked the
> voltage - 14.78 off, 16.24 at 1500 rpm.  That seems high to me, but thought I'd
> check. Some more info - the Optima i am replacing was 2.5 years old and would no
> longer take a charge.  the new battery was a warranty exchange.  2.5 years
> also seems like maybe there is an issue with the charging system?
>
> appreciate any ideas...

16.24 volts is WAY WAY too much.   Your voltage regulator has taken a dump,
and your alternator is cooking your battery!

If you have a stock-style alternator, with an external voltage regulator,
you're in luck.   The original regulators are mechanical and quite crude, while
functionally and visually identical units are now solid-state electronic.
Best of all, they only cost about twelve bucks.

Trot down to your favorite auto parts store and ask for a voltage regulator
for a '72 Mustang with a 351C.   Then jack up your car, pull the right rear
wheel and splash shield if you feel it's necessary, and simply unbolt the old
one, unplug the modular four-wire connector, plug the new one in, bolt it in
place, and yer done.

Don't forget to disconnect the battery during this operation.

If you have a modern alternator with a built-in voltage regulator, you will
have to remove it and either have the regulator replaced, or just get a whole
new alternator.