[DeTomaso] FW: I hate being technically incompetent-stalling issue

msm at portata.com msm at portata.com
Thu Dec 4 20:53:18 EST 2008

Forwarding to the List.

From: boyd casey [mailto:boyd411 at gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2008 5:51 PM
To: msm at portata.com
Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] I hate being technically incompetent-stalling issue

I had a similar problem. I also have an MSD ignition set up. First check fuel delivery. If your car has debris in the gas tank it will sometimes pick up crap from the  tank ( usually after letting it get low or right after a fill up ( stirred up debris ) Anyway teh scenario supposedly works like this. Fuel pick up gets clogged car stalls, Time goes by debris drops back out of fuel pick up and settles to bottom of tank, car restarts. I Just replaced my see through in line fuel filter and you would not believe the crap that  came out. It was like silt. I replaced it with a Fram racing filter that also acts as a water separator. If that fails MSD ignitions are supposed to have the hot lead from the MSD module hook up directly to the positive terminal of the battery. A loose or bad connection can cause intermittent ignition which will also cause similar symptoms. next time your car stalls pull of the air cleaner and see if you are actually getting gas. If you have a carb you will actually see gas squirt when you pump the accelerator ( have some one do it , or move the throttle by hand. If you are getting gas  pull a spark plug and have some one crank the car and see if you are getting spark. If you are not getting spark you can bring your MSD module and coil to a speed shop that sells MSD. Many of them have a sales display that will test your module and coil . It used to show how much more spark you get from MSD then other brands. Good Luck!

Boyd
On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 8:11 PM, <msm at portata.com> wrote:
>> I hate being technically incompetent
Me too.  But, you get used to it. :->

The fuel filter replacement is an easy, low-cost fix, so there is not
much downside to just do it.  Mike will pop up here shortly to talk
about his bling-bling reusable filter, but a few bucks down at your
local parts store is all you need.

It's amazing what you can find when you cut open a filter, even a fairly
new one.

Been there, done it -- twice.