[DeTomaso] Motor Mounts

NSakulen at aol.com NSakulen at aol.com
Sat Aug 23 01:21:58 EDT 2008

Moving the engine back also moves the Trans back.  What does that do  to the
axle shaft angle and does that matter?

Nick

When I  did my almost-flat-firewall project a few years ago on Judy's 72-1/2
Pantera, I noted in the article that the right side motor mount had one  hole
drilled fwd of the centerline. The left mount had TWO holes, one  drilled fwd
and
one drilled on-center. So I drilled the right to match the  left, slotted the
holes in both mounts, and shoved the engine back 3/4",  which is about 1/2 of
what you'd get by reversing the mounts  left-to-right. It was also the max I
could do while still clearing the oil  pan to crossmember. The gearshilft rod
fit
by playing with the splined  end- not the mid-rod adjuster; the exhausts fit
unchanged, no wires or  lines needed changing and I noted that this gave
plenty
of room for a  big-cap distributor. My SVO aluminum heads with Hooker headers
clear the  left inner fender panel. That flange is over 1" wide so a little
hammering  or cutting would easily make plenty of clearance for a further
move such
as with a modular engine. If you do this move, you do need to put an  S-bend
in
both the rear ZF mounts and make new, thicker spacers. FWIW- J  DeRyke

It's only a deal if it's where you  want to go. Find your travel deal
here.

Detomaso  Forum Managed by POCA

Archive Search Engine Now Available at  http://www.realbig.com/detomaso/

DeTomaso mailing  list