[DeTomaso] Alum Heads- Galvanic action

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Aug 7 02:21:50 EDT 2008

In a message dated 8/6/08 4:45:17 PM, adin at frontier.net writes:

> All these points are true (need GOOD grounds, can measure voltage, need
> anode) thanks to all for the tips.

You need a REALLY good VOM to measure galvanic voltage in a cooling system.
When I wrote my article on checking for voltage in the coolant, I used a Fluke
80204 B, set on 0-200 millivolts DC. I got 40 mV running around in our
coolant. Using a $20 Radio Shack VOM on lowest scale possible, I got nothing, just a
needle twitch. Corvette shops look for 'above 70 mV' before a sacrificial
anode is needed in their almost-all-aluminum systems.   Good luck- J Deryke