[DeTomaso] A-arm bushings.... continued

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Thu Aug 7 01:04:31 EDT 2008

So y'all know I got the new bushings from Maseratisource on ebay.
So I went to remove the front a-arms tonight which I had managed to
muscle in, with those earlier bushings with rubber protruding only on
one end and which were some .050 too long.

Imagine, as I'm using my air ratchet to loosen the bolts, the mounting
ears begin spreading apart.  Huh?  Well yea, the edges of the bushing
farther in the tabs was pushing the tabs away from each other, remember
the bushings are too long for the fit.  So to me, this was just another
real indicator these shouldn't be used.

Another interesting find, was that some bushings had become distorted
down the center, in other words, once I had the a-arm out, the bolt did
not fit smoothly down the bore of the bushing.  It was as if the bore
was not a wee bit curved, or perhaps the ends had become distorted, I
don't know which but I'm glad I decided to do them -all- over again.  <sigh>

Those bushing from the Maseratisource are (as pointed out by others
here) stamped with ITALY on them too.

At least, the second time I took everything apart, it went faster and
smoother, considering all the bolts had been recently cleaned and
tightened.  Took me all of about 40 minutes to have both sides out.  Oh,
but I did cheat a bit, all the brake stuff was already off, but that's a
story for the POCA Newsletter.  :)

Asa Jay
<who also -filmed- both front and rear caliper re-assembly and plans to
post it online in the future>

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired

& Shelley Marie
Spokane, WA