[DeTomaso] Rear Axles questions....

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Thu Aug 7 01:43:44 EDT 2008

I think I got a new spacer with the kit.  I purchased most of the parts I needed for the axle replacement all at the same time.  The only thing I remember having to modify was a long bolt (that looked more like an axle) that was supposed to go through the big bracket, i think it was called an upright, but Doug, Jeff or Mike who did most of the work while I watched, would be able to confirm that.  The new long bolt was slightly too large to fit, so we sanded it with fine grit sandpaper by putting one end of the bolt in an electric drill and holding the bolt with sandpaper.  As the bolt revolved at a high rate of speed, the sandpaper did the rest and eventually it fit.

I got a pair of axles as a set, so this winter when I have time I'll have to order all the extra bits for the driver's side so I can replace that axle and have a matched, new, set.

Chris