[DeTomaso] gear oils

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 12:52:08 EDT 2008

> What kind of ATF is it that are used. I remember earlier a friend of
> mine put the wrong kind in a FMX and a short time later, the transmission
> stopped working. As I recall, it was the brake band that was burned?

There are a variety of automatic transmission fluids, Type G, Type F,
Dexron II, Dexron IIE, Dexron III/Mercon, Dexron VI, Mercon V, etc.
ATF is basically very thin automotive oil, in the range of 0W-10 to
10W-10.  Type F was used in some (but not all) older Ford 3 speed
automatics including the FMX and has a higher coefficient of friction
than Dexron II and will yeild a firmer shift (in an automatic transmission).
The old B&M Trick Shift fluid was close to Type F.  Most likely your
friend put Dexron in the FMX which would increase slippage and heat
in the transmission.

> Similarly, running ATF in an older gearbox designed for heavy gear oil
> may reduce it to scrap in short order--as you found out.

Some manual gearboxes were designed for ATF, others were not.  The
Rover LT77 5 speed in my Triumph TR8 was designed for and originally
filled with gear lube but cold shifting complaints prompted the factory
to switch to specifying Type G automatic transmission fluid.  However,
the transmission was not designed for ATF so there are metals inside that
may wear prematurely.  The current lubricant of choice for the LT77 is GM
Synchromesh.  Before I switched to Syncromesh, I polled the TR7/TR8 list
for what people used.  Lots of different lubes were tried: Types G and F
ATF, Dexron II and III ATF (with and without home brew additives for
yellow metals), Redline MTL, Syncromesh, etc.  Synchromesh was universally
recommended.  Some had used ATF with no ill effects but some of the racers
had problems.  Also, my Tremec manual specifies GM Synchromesh for 3550
and TKO transmissions.  Syncromesh pours like ATF but, through the miracles
of modern chemistry, meets 75W90 gear oil specs.  It also has the proper
viscosity for low temperature operation and also contains additives for
synchronizer performance and the protection of yellow metals in the
transmission.  No matter what the counter jockey may say, this is *not*
GM ATF fluid (Dexron II or III).  GM Synchromesh Transmission Fluid is
part number 1#12345349, available from your friendly GM dealer.  Pennzoil,
Quaker State (Quaker State is part of Pennzoil) and Amsoil market versions
of Syncromesh.  When Pennzoil introduced their version of Synchromesh, I
saved the press release:

 "Pennzoil has designed a new transmission fluid, Pennzoil Synchromesh, that
 is specially formulated to meet the demanding needs of manual transmissions
 used in certain General Motors vehicles. These vehicles require GM part
 number 12345349 (Spec. No. 9985648) Synchromesh Transmission Fluid.
 Pennzoil Synchromesh Fluid is formulated with high quality paraffinic base
 stocks, a fluidity modifier and a multifunctional performance additive. It
 also has corrosion inhibitors, a foam suppressor, and shear stable viscosity
 index improver additives. Pennzoil Synchromesh provides excellent oxidation
 stability and low temperature performance. Plus, it's compatible with yellow
 metals, such as the bronze, brass and copper components found in manual
 transaxles and transmissions.  This fluid will effectively lubricate General
 Motors manual transmissions and transaxles from -40 degrees C to 150 degrees
 C."

According to some unverified info I found on the 'net (a post on the
www.oilanalysis.com message board), Synchromesh consists of a 5W30
non-detergent oil with a friction modifer and an EP (extreme pressure)
additive and is made under contract for General Motors by Pennzoil
(APC 3378) or by Texaco (Code 1874 MTX Fluid).

> Ford's T5 five-speed and T56 are designed for ATF and will NOT work with
> conventional gear oil, period dot.   Several friends tried it, and it was
> literally impossible to shift properly.

The Borg Warner T5 in my daily driver Mustang has over 200K miles on it
and is starting to get a little notchy shifting.  I've ran Dexron II in
it since new but I may try Syncromesh next fulid change.

Dan Jones