[DeTomaso] electrical question - alternator

SOBill at aol.com SOBill at aol.com
Mon Aug 4 22:37:50 EDT 2008

Lee,

Here's the deal:

The alternator will put out about 14 volts to charge  the battery. If the
battery is completely flat, the alternator will put  it's max rated current, if
the engine rpm is high enough, to rapidly charge  the battery. As the battery
charges, the alternator output current will slowly  drop off.

The Pantera wiring was (more or less) designed around an alternator  with a
max of 65 amps. If you have installed a 200 amp alternator, a dead  battery
will draw 200 amps and this will definitely stress the wiring between  the
alternator, the ammeter and the battery. Will it be dangerous? Probably not.  BUT if
you hold the revs up and pump 200 amps thru the OEM wiring  until the battery
is fully charged, the wiring will no doubt get  warm.

A second consideration is just after you start the engine. The  battery will
be partially discharged by the starter and the alternator will  put out max
current. But the battery will quickly regain a full charge and the  world will
be at peace.

The third situation is when the battery is fully charged but the AC  fan is
at max, all three fans are running, the HiFi is honking full tilt, and  the
Baja road lights are at max. The alternator will be supplying this load via  the
wire between the alternator and the ammeter and this wire is sized for 65
amps. Will it be dangerous? Probably not. If you smell something hot, turn a few
accessories off until the air clears.

The final solution: replace the wire between the alternator and the  ammeter
and between the ammeter and the battery with a bigger wire. A 10 foot  long
wire carrying 65 amps should be a #6. A 10 foot long wire carrying 105 amps
should be a #4. The other wires in the car are fine as they are. Then replace
the OEM ammeter with a voltmeter.

SOBill  Taylor
sobill at aol.com

In a message dated 8/4/2008 6:45:58 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,