[DeTomaso] SENT AGAIN-FUNNY MANGUSTA STORY / Dick Ruzzin

Dickruzzindesign at aol.com Dickruzzindesign at aol.com
Mon Aug 4 22:56:09 EDT 2008

This happened some time in 1997 or '98, before the new DeTomaso Qvale came
out.

Late one Sunday afternoon I received a phone call, it must have been Fall.
The gentleman on the line explained that he was from Detroit but in San
Francisco on a business trip and that he had a brand new job. He explained that he
worked for an ad agency that did work for the Mercury Division of the Ford
Motor Company and was offered the position of Marketing Manager for the new Qvale
Mangusta that was coming out shortly. That really got my interest.

All of this was done in a very self grandising way.

He asked if I still had my Mangusta as he had seen it in the Meadowbrook
Coucoures deElegance
Program from the year before. I told him yes, I was in the show and had won
my class.

He told me that there was a new Mangusta coming out and that he wanted to use
my car in the press launch of the new one. I had seen the pictures of the new
car and almost laughed out loud at the prospect of the two cars appearing
together and presented to the press.

I told him that it would be possible.   We then started discussing the new
"Mangusta". He said it was rear wheel drive. I was surprised at that and we had
a brief discussion, then I asked why is it not a mid-engine car, like the
original?

Well, he said, the mid-engine car will come from Lincoln.

That really floored me, he launched off with a lot of other information that
I am sure would be considered very private for any car company. I started to
get a bad conscience about what he was telling me and finally interrupted him.

"I have to tell you," I said, "that I am the Design Director for Chevrolet
Cars and that you really should not be telling me a lot of this".

He replied that he was still interested in knowing if they could use my car.
He had no idea what he was doing. I told him that he could call anytime____but
I never heard from him again.

All the best,
Dick Ruzzin,______________________DickruzzinDESIGN at aol.com
920 Whittier Rd.
Grosse Pointe Park, MI 48230
Home: +313-824-0539, Cell: +313-300-9558

All the best,
Dick Ruzzin,______________________DickruzzinDESIGN at aol.com
920 Whittier Rd.