[DeTomaso] Big Bend ORR report

Will Kooiman wkooiman at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 28 22:12:32 EDT 2008

I have several theories on why it came apart.

The mixture wasn't lean.  If anything it was too rich.  The A/F gauge showed
a slightly over-rich mixture.

I didn't hear any ticking, tapping, knocking, pinging, etc.  It was pulling
strong with no weird sputters, pops, etc.

I was at 3/4 throttle when it broke.  I was at 180deg water and 170deg oil.

When I changed the camshaft, I had to remove the intake.  The driver's side
was a piece of cake.  The passenger's side tore near #3.  I put some RTV on
it, tightened it up, and let it set up before starting it.  If it was
sucking oil, there might have been enough pre-ignition to crack the stock
cast pistons.

I could have sucked in some debris through the open Webers.  For a few
minutes I thought someone might have tossed something in the Webers, but all
kidding aside, I don't think anyone there would do that.

I might have cracked a piston or two without knowing it.  When I had the
engine out the last time, I didn't disassemble the short block.  I did the
valve springs, the oil pan, and that's it.  At any rate, if one of the
pistons had cracked from previous issues, it might have decided BBORR was
the time to come apart.

I don't think I dropped a valve.  The valves are new one-piece stainless.

I think the cylinder wall is cracked or windowed.  There is definitely water
on the engine.  If I just blew a piston, it would only have spewed oil.  I
don't have a puddle of oil on the ground - other than the normal oil leaks.

I'll post my progress once I start tearing it apart.  It may be a few days.
Strangely engine work isn't on my wife's honey-do list.

Will.