[DeTomaso] IR manifold.

Göran Malmberg hemipanter at hemipanter.se
Thu Apr 10 18:18:21 EDT 2008

I had the first long ride wiht the new intake system today. Long and long, if

20 miles could be called long, I dont know. I dont like to be to far from the

garage during such event.

Anyway, I am surprised how nice the engine runs. Althrought iit drops the

vacuum much faster from low rpm at trottle, it is easier and smother to

make a soft start like getting it out the garage. 2000-4000 rpm medium

trottle operation feels very much the same as before. It is to coold this time

of the  year, so there is not grip enough to be to heavy on the trottle yet.

Sounds nice! Like the fire wall window should pop out and go down the bores.

I am very pleased to see that such intake is possible to fabricate one self.

In fact I was avaiting a large amount of troubbles and that the old setup

must be put back again. There was only one problem during the work.

I couldnt get the idle down to under 1000 rpm. This was due to improper

butterfly fitment together with a small balance sytem to be able to use

PCV. The blades are now within 0,0005" in order to produce the same

opening all around at idle. When closed one can hardley see light passing

the sides of the blades. 700 rpm idle take only 0,012" trottle opening,

no wonder that problems arises. However, tuning was getting very

easy with such fitment. I adjust all the butterflies to ded closed and

lock them to the opening bar, thats it. Great with an "in line" opening bar.

By the way, I visited my son yesterday and he had restored an old Shellby

Mustang! I put an "mobile" image on my site. 550cui 385 stroker Ford.

We will see some strip ET:s later on.

http://www.hemipanter.se/

Fare down the site.

Goran