[DeTomaso] Half shaft eye alignment

Larry Weston lplugw at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 8 07:25:31 EDT 2008

Thank to all who offered help with my search for half shaft parts.

Another thing has come up. On one of my shafts and one of the shafts in some really good photos of an available set that were sent to me I've found a built in misalignment of the planes of the centerlines of the bores. On one of my shafts there is no way to align the splines to put the eyes of the male and female ends in the same plane. It's like a half spline off. The other shaft eyes line up perfectly. Put them side by side and the problem is very obvious.

The photo I refered to is posted on the PIBB "parts wanted" forum. If you look carefully I think you'll see what I'm talking about.

Were they intentionally built this way? The first time I've taken a really hard look at these things and I find the same issue in the first two sets I look at.

I can forward the other shots to anyone that would like to see them.

Thanks,

Larry.