[DeTomaso] Half shaft eye alignment

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Apr 8 13:11:02 EDT 2008

In a message dated 4/8/08 4:26:09 AM, lplugw at hotmail.com writes:

> On one of my shafts there is no way to align the splines to put the eyes of
> the male and female ends in the same plane. It's like a half spline off.

I've not seen this before, but that half-shaft is fixable, being mild steel.
Taken to a driveshaft expert, they will cut the weld on one end , re-clock the
two u-joint axes and reweld them, then rebalance. A good welder could do the
first part but unless the parts are in perfect alignment, with perfect welds,
there's a possibility of pulsations or even breakage.

Good eyes for spotting this; has this Pantera ever had vibration under heavy
accelereation? Good luck- J Deryke