[DeTomaso] Rear Axle Bearings

michael frazier red3644 at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 1 09:57:16 EDT 2008

Well, I've got everything apart and found that Dennis Q did work on these uprights and resized the axles and it uses the larger outer
bearing on the inside too.  Once apart there was some minor discoloring on the shaft where the bearing sat but it was very smooth with no scratches or gouges.  There may be a little evidence of movement where the spacer between the flange and the bearing meets the axle, but minor if any.  The axles only had .0002-3 interference yet still took about 12000 lbs from the press to get them off.  I'm not sure I could get them back together with a .0005-8 interference.  They have a new paste that will create an additional interference like has been around for years, but this is the latest and greatest.  I may try that since I'm running against the clock.  Waiting for a new outer bearing retainer
plate now  That's it right now.
Michael

Has anyone come up with a new or better tappered roller bearing conversion yet?  I'm not convinced it's even necessary if your original items fit right...usually meaning the axle has been resized.  I have my uprights apart now and was just thinking about it.Mike, you're correct. If the stub-axles have been resized to a correct press-fit diameter in ball bearings, the ball bearings are actually better- they have lower friction among other things. FWIW, in '98, I converted the right side of our car to tapered roller bearings while leaving the left side with ball bearings for a comparison, both rear axles having been rewelded and ground to correct size. I covered all the details in the POCA news of August '98. Since then, I've heard bad things concerning the seals on some conversions but tearing mine down every yrear or so, I still see no signs of water penetration over 10 years and thousands of all-weather miles. I can even drive thru car washes with no problem- something exclided from other conversions. So if the seals are added in the manner I described- which is NOT a cheap bolt-on but requires more machining, they will work like in any other car. Only a few vendors offer tapered rollers and the only one I've NOT heard complaints about water damage is from Pantera East. Bottom line- resize your axles or buy billet axles, and spend the conversion money somewhere else. good luck- J deryke**************Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video on AOL Home.(http://home.aol.com/diy/home-improvement-eric-stromer?video=15&ncid=aolhom00030000000001)