[DeTomaso] Upright Rebuilt.. but what the?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Sep 29 19:11:34 EDT 2007

In a message dated 9/29/07 13 52 3, 6d9gt500 at comcast.net writes:

> Thanks.. I don't know about Mangled is a word I would use..but I get your
> point. Here is my set up
>  and it seems more stout than factory. Sent ya some pics

The list software stripped away the photos from everybody else, but they came
through directly to me.

Well, it's true that the straight pin in the heim joint (which replaces the
ball joint) seems larger--perhaps substantially larger--than the stock ball
joint tapered pin.

My fear is that so much material might have to be removed from the hub
carrier to accomodate an oversize pin, that the hub carrier itself might be
compromised?

It's very difficult to tell based on the photos.   Can you tell us the
diameter of the pin?

Also, I presume there's a reason that these assemblies are normally
manufactured with a tapered pin.   Can anybody share any knowledge regarding the design
advantages and/or disadvantages of replacing the tapered pin/opening with a
straight one?