[DeTomaso] GTS Stock Oil capacity and dipstick length.

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Sep 21 23:13:39 EDT 2007

In a message dated 9/21/07 18 16 25, asajay at asajay.com writes:

> I'm at Steve Harrell's house.  The test drive yielded a bunch of
> smoke, continously.  I think we've over-filled the crankcase.  Steve
> did a wonderful job of detailing the car, but when he went to chane
> oil and filter, he put what amounts to 10 quarts in, (8 oil and two
> additives).
>
> To me, the pan looks stock, not extra capacity.  Here is the problem.
>
>>>Well, that means you have about double the required amount in there. :<(

> The dipstick reads full with 10 quarts, and didn't read anything until
> he got that much into it.  The dipstick measures at 37 3/4 inches,
> which is within 1/4 of the recommended 38 inches.
>
>>>1/4 inch makes a bit of a difference, but not that much.   Still, the
early dipsticks were too long (which meant you didn't run enough oil); the later
ones were exactly 38 inches and the early ones were supposed to be modified to
that length.   Is the handle painted yellow?

> >So why is it
> overfull and reading just right on the dipstick?
>
> The only other clue I have is that the dipstick tube was replaced with
> a Hall unit many many years ago.  Was the Hall unit a different length?
>
>>>Oh, wait a minute.   There is zero quality control with an aftermarket
dipstick setup; it is up to you to cut the tube to the proper length to get the
proper reading.   This can only be done properly by removing the oil pan.
Chances are the dipstick itself is also an aftermarket unit which is why it is a
random length.

> >Was there a different pan put on GTS?
>
>>>The Euro GTS had a 10-quart baffled pan as an option (looks externally
like an Aviaid), but the US-model cars got the stock Ford pan.

> >Was a different length tube put on GTS?
>
>>>No.

> >Is a different length dipstick needed for GTS?

> >We are going to jack it up so I can get a proper look, but initially
> it all looks stock.  Any feedback I can get while we are back in the
> garage would be helpful.
>
>>>Hopefully that helps?

>The tube length is 24 3/4 from the point it inserts to the block, to
the point where the dipstick goes in.  The ford parts book says it
should be 18 1/4".  I don't think we are six inches off (but I could
be wrong).

>>>Six inches is huge.   But remember, your dipstick is the wrong length too
(albeit only by 1/4 inch).

>Does anyone know if the Hall stainless tube was meant to be "cut to length?"

>>>Yes, it is.   I have helped a couple of people install those things (which
they got from Bobby Byars), and he indicated that the tube was intentially
over-long (although he didn't say way--it just makes more work).

>For now, we are going to drain the pan (it -is- a stock pan, I got
under and gave it the once over), then refill with five quarts and
probably start hacking the tube off.

Any more thoughts?

>>>Stuff a rag down the tube before you start sawing, to trap any metal
shavings that migh result.

The proper way to do this job is to pull the pan, but your technique is
probably close enough/safe enough.   And once you've gone through the effort to
pull the pan, you're crazy to put it back on, as opposed to replacing it with a
proper Aviaid pan.

Good luck!