[DeTomaso] Dyno Project Update

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 11:58:07 EDT 2007

All,

A quick update on the 351C dyno project.  So far, I've received payment
or pledges covering more than 9 days on the dyno.  Hoping for 11 or 12
days of funding before all is said and done.  The dyno test engines available
at this point include:

 1 351CJ (stock open chamber 4V engine with 16k miles)
 2 351C short blocks (0.030" over TRW forged flat top pistons)
 1 Boss 351 (rebuilt with Crane solid flat tappet cam)
 1 407 Fontana aluminum block with C302B high port heads
 1 416 FRPP aluminum block with Yates C3H heads

We're not sure if they will fit the dyno but we have 3 sets of 180 degree
headers available (4V, high port and Yates flanges), along with a set of
sprint car headers (high port flange).  Mike Trusty wants to come up for
a couple of days so it looks like we are going to dedicate those days to
indpendent runner EFI testing.  I've got one of Kelly Coffield's EFI
set-ups with 3 different stack heights and Mike Trusty is bringing his
EFI set-up which use Kelly's intake but the taller TWM throttle bodies
(58mm in Mike's case).  I'd really like to do a converted single plane
or tunnel ram EFI manifold as well but I'm not sure I've got the budget
to do that.  Now's the time to test something like that so I may just
have to sell a few more (non-Cleveland) parts out of my parts stash to
make that happen.  Also, I've been informed David Vizard wants to host
the dyno results on his website which is cool.

Here's a first cut of the time I'm allocating:

 2 days 2V heads
 2 days 4V heads
 3 days aluminum heads (A3, C302B, Pro Comp, CHI)
 2 days fuel injection
 2 days Autolitle Inlines and Webers

I'll post a summary of the specific parts available for the dyno testing
later but, at this point, it's probably better to list the parts we still
need to round out the testing.  Also, I'm working on a test plan with
sequence of parts testing.

Also, there are several PayPal payments pending because I set up a
personal account which has a $500 monthly limit, as well as a 5
credit card transaction anual limit.  I'll convert that to a premier
account shortly which will take a 2.9% cut but will allow unlimited
contributions.

Dan Jones