[DeTomaso] Bronze Headlight Gear Installation

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Oct 31 10:52:37 EDT 2007

In a message dated 10/31/07 4:35:20 AM, michaelsavga at gmail.com writes:

> Is there a step by step guide ( hopefully with photos ) for this upgrade?

No, but it's very easy.

The headlight motor and gearbox are attached to a metal plate, which in turn
is bolted to the fenderwell with three bolts (which require a 10mm socket).
Clearance is tight so 1/4 inch drive is your friend here.

The first thing to do is unplug the wires from the motor (remember which goes
which), and also unplug the wires from the headlight limit switches (ditto).
 One of the limit switches has to be removed; I think it's the one towards
the front of the car, but I can't remember for sure.   You'll figure it out, as
the assembly won't be able to be removed otherwise.   Getting that out
requires a tiny 4mm wrench (long 4mm bolts are threaded into captive nuts welded to
the back side of the plate; sometimes these can be problematic).

With the bolts removed the plate will be free to flop around, and the small
drive gear will no longer engage the gear on the headlight bar; you'll have to
manually raise the headlights and prop them open to allow the mechanism to
drop down.

Oh,   you've already jacked the car and removed the left front tire and the
splash shield, by the way.   I forgot to mention that.

Once it's completely free, it can be fished down and out.

Once it's in your hand, changing the gear itself is a snap, same as for the
window gears (which I believe are covered in detail on Mike Dailey's site).
Be careful to transfer the invisibly thin washers that are on either side of
the stock gear, over to the new gear.

When you reassemble the system, you will have to try to ensure the tightest
possible engagement between the small driven gear and the headlight bar (to
prevent the lights from jiggling).   Two people makes that part of the job go
much easier.

All of this is possible with the radiator still installed, although you might
find it easier if you unbolt it at the top and tilt it forward very slightly.
  If you have a lay-down radiator, it's child's play.

Good luck!