[DeTomaso] Great fuel injection setup!

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Oct 26 01:37:12 EDT 2007

Hi guys,

I got the following e-mail from Stefan Jelvin in Sweden.   He also sent me a
bunch of photos of both his old and new fuel injection setups; they can be
found at http://members.aol.com/mikeldrew/StefanJelvinFuelInjection.zip

Stefan wrote:

If I can/will tell you more about it... Of course!! I love talking about the
set-up and the tuning :-)

 I originally had a set-up with 4 45mm throttle bodies, manufactured by a guy
here in Sweden. They were quite rough and sort of simplistic, since he built
them mainly for rally-cross cars. I designed the intake myself, to fit
IDF-type throttle bodies (smaller and shorter) than the more common IDA-type throttle
bodies.
I completed the installation in 2000, using a Haltech management system for
fuel only. I kept my old Mallory Unilite for ignition.
 The old set-up, pictures OLD1-4

 Then, during 2004/5 I thought I needed a better fuel supply system and
regulator... I didn't fully trust the Mallory stuff I bought in 1999. So I bought a
Carter high-volume, low-presure pump to get the fuel to a huge billet filter,
acting as a "depot" for the high-presure pump from Walbro.
 After some thinking and a lot of testing I came up with an arrangement that
made it possible to fit all pumps, filters etc on firewall, right next to the
gas tank. Including the regulator from Aeromotive.
 New fuel arrangement, pictures FUEL1-3

 After putting a very nice fuel system in place I realized that I of course
had to upgrade the throttle bodies as well :-)
 That's when I found Jenvey http://www.jenvey.co.uk/  And planning ahead, I
purchased slightly larger throttle bodies, 48mm. Small enough to get a
good/high velocity, but still big enough to deliver 80 bhp per bore. I ordered the
nice looking pieces and ported my intake to 48mm.
 Jenvey TB and porting, pictures NEW1-9 (Check out the pico injectors!)

 And while I was at it I changed the management system to Megasquirt, a DIY
open source project with lots of dedicated people developing and trying it out
http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/
 To make it even a little bit more challenging I decided to let Megasquirt
control the ingition as well. So I got rid of my distributor and fitted Ford
EDIS, a distributor less wasted-spark system.
 That was a major improvement in spark delivery...
 Crank trigger etc for EDIS, pictures EDIS1-5

 I also have a wide-band oxygen sensor hooked up to the Megasquirt, to do
closed loop adjustments to injection times during steady-sate, as well as logging
transient conditions during for example acceleration.

 There is an almost indefinate number of parameters to tweak! Very
entertaining :-)
 Best of all, the crisp throttle response and completely stable idle from the
first second after the engine starts!!

 Now that I have all these fancy gadgets, my 12 years old engine does not
feel right... But thre is nothing wrong with it. It's still a strong engine.
 I have been checking out this project:
 http://www.network54.com/Forum/119419/thread/1179950031/Casting+shaken+out.

 And I am seriously considering letting:
 http://www.tliracing.com/
 or:
 http://www.strokerengine.com
 build an all aluminium 408C for me.

 Any thoughts??

 Best Regards,
 /Stefan

 PS. I re-sized and compressed the pics in order not to choke your mailbox.
Hope they turned out OK.... DS

====

Stefan's e-mail is stefan.jelvin at telia.com.

Cheers!