[DeTomaso] Valve cover gaskets

Doug Braun doug at silicondesigns.com
Thu Oct 25 17:37:24 EDT 2007

Asa Jay,

	Maybe there are different quality corks being used by the gasket
manufacturers but I've had the same experience as Larry (except for the
vaseline).  The same set of Fel-Pro cork valve cover gaskets have been on my
engine for 11 years now.  They're the version with the steel shim-stock core
and cork on both sides.  I cemented them to the valve covers and wiped on a
layer of silicone spray as a release agent on the cork face that goes
against the heads.  I take the valve covers off every other year or so; they
come right off with a light tug, the gaskets are still in fine shape and
they don't leak.

It may be that if you overheat an engine with cork gaskets on it, you end up
with the gaskets becoming brittle.

Doug Braun
blue 73L #5505