[DeTomaso] Clutch Options??

wkooiman at earthlink.net wkooiman at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 23 23:25:19 EDT 2007

Get the pn for the front seal for the ZF.  It is very cheap at a bearing shop.  Buy 10 and share.  The seal is easy to change once the ZF is out, and is probably due to be changed unless you have done it already.  A pick is helpful in getting the old seal out.

Buy a throwout bearing from a vendor.  I forgot to order one, so I've still got my original throwout bearing.  I didn't want to chance getting the wrong one from bubba-da-parts guy.

I still have the original pilot bushing even though I have a perfectly new one in my toolbox.  I'll probably swap it out this time.

I've posted several times about the aluminum flywheels on ebay.  They are high quality Fidanza flywheels (sold by The Mustang Depot for $250).  Make sure your pressure plate bolts are correct.  Buy the proper grade PP bolts.

I like my centerforce clutch+pp.  Much better than a mongo springed long style PP.

If you want to be different, you could try the dual disc clutch/PP that Dennis Quella advertises in Profiles.  Tom Upton has the race version in his street car, and it seems perfectly streetable.

You might also want to consider a new starter while you're at it.  You'll be down there.  May as well install a gear reduction starter while you're there.

You asked for options.