[DeTomaso] Dipstick length

tony DiGiovanna tonydigi at optonline.net
Mon Oct 22 23:01:48 EDT 2007

Just to further support Jack below, I think I've seen enough evidence to
support this:
1.  Long ago, I twice rattled the stock hydraulic lifters in my Cleve.  Once
in a right turn freeway exit ramp, and once in a straight line when I was
down a quart or two of oil.
2.  When I had a small crack in my cylinder, the oil would build up in the
right hand valve cover at the track until it blew out the PCV hole like a
volcano.  It would not happen on the street, it required the additional
upward flow of gasses thru the oil drain holes of the head from the crack in
the cylinder combined with low vacuum WOT operation.  This indicates to me
the marginal drain back capacity of the holes.
3.  With good block, I sometimes still get some oil blown out on the right
side during the long left hander coming out of the infield at Pocono.  I
suspect a similar mechanism, but with just the high RPM blow by driving it
out.  I need to address it this winter.

JDeRyke at aol.com said...
Years ago, Mike Cook found that
of the 5 stock quarts in a 351-C engine, at high rpms approximately 1-1/2
full quarts were in each rocker cover and one was in the filter, leaving
only one
in the pan. If the car was also cornering or on a bumpy road or track, the
oil pump pickup would uncover momentarily. A few such experiences and that
rattling noise you'd hear was not the lifters.... As we've seen in the past
20
years, the actual 'fix' was a correctly baffled pan- either the Aviad type
for
Panteras or the T-pan for Mustangs- both of which aren't actually any deeper
than
a stock pan but hold more.