[DeTomaso] Unusual Pantera... and trivia geeks

www.ProvaMo.com Pantera007 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 19 17:45:20 EDT 2007

Paul,

The BSN, or Body Service Number, appears on a small(er) plastic plate
affixed to the top of the footbox between the footbox VIN plate (with the
window) and the brake booster.

See:  http://www.provamo.com/Members/TechInfo/IDBadges.asp

The sixth image, and depending upon how wide your window is, the 2nd row,
2nd image.

I have better images somewhere on my website.  But...

I have attached an image (stripped by the list) of one "loose".
This is the type currently available from the vendors.

This plate is attached (I believe) as the car rolls off the production line,
and helps identify just what versions of the various variants of parts etc.
were on that specific car.

Or so was Ford's intent.

Chuck Melton
www.DeTomasoRegistry.org

Where can the BSN be found on a Pantera?

Paul

www.ProvaMo.com wrote:
> Listers,
>
> In adding cars to the Registry, I came across this one, 7412.
>
> Using the search function with 7412 at
>
> http://www.provamo.com/Members/Registry/ProvaMoRegistry.asp
>
> You'll see a "1975" Pantera.
> (For those that have participated in the Photo Registry anyway...)
>
> I've contacted the owner and I'm waiting for a reply.
>
> (Q1)  This car has a sunroof, among other features.  I presume that the
> Factory never did sunroofs?  (Including Pavsi work for the Factory)
>
> Anyone know?
>
> Over it's life this car has seen some mods (Webers + cut decklid) 180
> exhaust etc... So I would not be surprised that it was added post-factory.
> I just don't know for sure.
>
> I know once Ford started the BSN in July 1972 (using 50000 for Panteras
and
> 30000 for USA GTS models).
>
> I wondered if the Euro cars also received a BSN.  Some searching thru the
> Registry indicates that the BSN was affixed for both Euro delivery and USA
> bound cars.  Not to be unexpected really.  But I have LOTS of Euro-bound
> cars without a BSN.
> (Q2) Was this a hit 'n miss effort or?
>
> For this specific car my notes list a BSN that begins with 4, not a 3 or
5.
> More research indicates that some cars had a BSN that began with a 6 (Euro
> GTS examples).  I would have presumed that Post-Ford DeTomaso would have
> dropped the BSN effort.
>
> (Q3)  Does anyone have a (photo of a) 1975+ or even a 1980+ Pantera with a
> BSN?
>
> Mike Drew, or other trivia geeks...
>
> (Q4)  What say you about BSNs starting with numbers other than 3 and 5.
And
> what might the alternate numbers indicate?
>
> Today's Trivia Question instigated by Byron.
>
> Chuck Melton
> www.DeTomasoRegistry.org

> Checked by AVG Free Edition.
10/19/2007