[DeTomaso] Cam question, Pantera ownership is learning to live with disappointment, frustaition and poor.

Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 14:12:37 EDT 2007

I should really search the archives to see what your exact setup is, but you
might have the spark set 180 degrees off.  I end up doing this rather often,
since the crank being at TDC 0 happens twice in the combustion cycle.  The
only way to know for sure is by looking at the valve action at #1 or by
removing the front accessories to see the cam position.  I just take the
distributor out, rotate the crank another 360 degrees, and set the
distributor as before.  It's a 50/50 chance, and the results of doing it
incorrectly will merely result in a backfire.

Use a timing light to be sure spark is going through the spark plug wire.
You can also use a spark plug at the end of the wire to check for spark, but
be sure you don't have any fuel around because spark plus fuel equals boom.

Since you're using EFI, you may have a crank sensor that needs checking; but
first, get a set of Noid lights and see if your fuel injectors are getting
signal.  If you put starting fluid in the intake, do you get the engine to
fire?  I just want to be sure it's all stinky with fuel before you get too
far into an electrical problem.

I had a Fiat once with mechanical lifters, and my grandfather diagnosed the
problem over the phone... I had to adjust the tappet clearance.

I hope this helps a little.  This is the most frustrating time of any build,
but just keep at it.  When it starts to run, the feeling is incredible!

sean

--
'65, '68 Mustangs, '68 Cougar, '78 R100/7, '71 Pantera #1382