[DeTomaso] HIGH FLOW ALU. CLEAVLAND HEAD

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 12:17:47 EDT 2007

> Im looking for heads for my engine project..

Please supply more information on your project.  Intended use, maximum RPM,
bore and stroke, compression ratio, etc.

> high flow cleavland alu heads.. have somebody god idea?

There are a number of choices.

> have tryed to call blue thunder, are they closed?

Art Francis is difficult to get a hold of.  He prefers to let his dealers
deal with customers.

> and some dealers.. they dont have it in stock.

You'll find these things are cast in batches.  Orders are taken, a batch
is cast and once they are sold, you have to wait until the next batch.

> CHI and AFR ?? or others..

Choices are FRPP (Yates, SC1, D3), Blue Thunder, Brodix (BF300 series), CHI,
AFD, Edelbrock and Pro Comp.

> looking for flow figures of in. 350+cfm and ex. 250+cfm

The Brodix, CHI 3V, Blue Thunder, any of the FRPP (including the A3, B351,
and C302B's) will make that sort of flow.  Forget the Edelbrock for what
you are doing.  I don't have any experience with the AFD's.  The Pro Comps
are a Chinese copy of the CHI and need some work to match a CHI head.

> going to make a custom intake and exhaust manifoilds so some diffrence
> from the 4v head is ok...

If cost is no object, then the D3's are king of the hill.  Capable of
flowing 420+ CFM with a small port size.  This is a full on race head
and requires a shaft mount rocker assembly as well as custom pistons,
intake and exhaust.  The Blue Thunder with the raised exhaust port is
a hybrid cylinder head with 351C valve locations and Yates ports,
aimed at the budget racer.  Two things that drive the out-the-door cost
on Yates heads are that they require porting and an expensive rockershaft
system.  To keep costs down, the Blue Thunder heads come essentially
pre-ported and retain compatibility with Boss 351 valve train bits.
Standard 351C guide plates, rocker arms, studs, and stud girdles can be
used, though a rockershaft system is also available.  Longer than
stock valves are required and the seats will accept diameters from 2.02"
to 2.2" intake and 1.6" to 1.7" exhaust.  Since valve locations are the
same as 351C's, 351C pistons can be used.  5Occ and 70cc combustion
chambers are available.  The heads have a 0.400" thick port walls and
are partly machined for alcohol down nozzles that can be finished with
a hand held drill.  The Brodix BF300 is a replacement head for the popular
Ford Motorsport C302B head which is no longer produced.  Like the C302B,
the BF300 series heads have a standard Boss 351 combustion chamber and
use 351C style valves.  They are set up for rockershafts but Boss 351C
style stud version are available.

Dan Jones