[DeTomaso] POCA Election Process

LaurieFerrari at aol.com LaurieFerrari at aol.com
Wed Oct 10 15:57:22 EDT 2007

Hi All,

During my 6 year tenure as POCA VP and though the  experience of the few
elections in which I was  a participant, I have noted that some of the  election
guidelines, whether outlined in the By-Laws or not, make  little sense.  It is
through trial and error that the By-Laws should be  revisited and amended for
improvement at least once every  tenth lunar eclipse.

First of all, for what good purpose is one's candidacy statement limited to
two "short" paragraphs when there is much more informational and biographical
information a candidate should be allowed to share in order for voters  to
make an educated decision.

Secondly, why are all candidates' statements not coordinated into
one"Election Publication" or included at the exact time the ballot is  offered (on
attached pages) so that motivated members do not have to  search through three past
Newsletters and thumb through them hunting for  these statements.

Additionally, it is my true belief that the President making his "personal"
endorsement known for his candidate of choice is not a practice that should
be expressed in the "club publication."  This is a cordial  car club, not an
election for head of a government. I know this has been  the practice of the
past but I do feel it would be  more positive and constructive for the President
to remain  objective and enlighten the membership as to the best  qualities
and assets of all candidates in the Club's  publications.  Should he choose to
make his personal choice known, it  is more appropriate to do so on either this
forum or through his postings  to various chapters or personal
correspondence; that is always  his prerogative.  To endorse one over another in  the
President's Newsletter message, I find to be personally  slighting to those who he
does not endorse.  It is simply  not the best practice for the morale of all
those willing to run and  serve.

Finally, I do believe that there should be an established and equitable
practice of handling ties should they ever arise again.   In the past,  the
decision to allow and count one undated ballot,  received past the cut-off date,
without full membership approval, was  an entirely questionable decision.  Our
elections should exemplify  fairness and be representative of the decisions of
the entire membership,  not just a few of the old time Board Members.

As a personal note, I am joining Matt, M.Dawg, EFX Richard, Durango  Dave et
Cie in supporting MARK, all the way.  He's  a genuinely great guy with a
positive outlook on life, people,  our cars and our Club. He's creative, witty,
informative,  literate, and actively involved in many Club and auto related
events.  Plus he's always been helpful. The on-line PCNC  Newsletter is exemplary
of his talents and dedication. I look  forward to the enthusiasm and
innovations he will bring to  our Club.

Best of Luck to Everyone!
Laurie

Message: 14