[DeTomaso] Mangusta Ignition Switch?

steven.liebenow at att.net steven.liebenow at att.net
Wed Oct 10 14:35:25 EDT 2007

Gary,
Head out to the garage and disconnect your battery now!!!!  My switch failed when I turned it off.....  I suspect something broke internally, and fell to the bottom of the switch, where it shorted to the main +12V IN.  (Turning the switch 180 degrees so the +12V IN is at the top may have prevented it....)

Not getting into start is how it starts!!! I couldn't get into ACCY. Didn't know I had that position!!!!

Before I forget....YOUDA MAN!!! For taking the Goose out and driving it in ORR!!!! You beat my timeline for getting to Silver State some year!

OK. You can chase the world over for a replacement switch that is equal or worse than what you have, OR, you can get a replacement from your local auto supply house. I got some info from another Gooser that found the same switch I got at NAPA for $25, he got for about $8 somewhere else....  I think I sent it to Dana at MI, waiting for him to write it up and post the info....then I'll write an article showing my wiring damage etc....   I bought one switch off of the UK eBay site, made in China, and sold by an Egyptian guy!  Talk about international!

What I got from NAPA, was an Echlin "KS6180" switch. It has posts on the back, so you will need to buy some 90 degree spade connectors, or bend something up. (I used the spade thingys that clip into a fuse holder next to the fuse to add a connection. Flattened them where they were curved, and drilled a 3/16" or so hole in them and fastened them securely to the switch.) Bent accordingly to get a 90.

Installation is very straight forward.  I can give you wire colors etc when you are ready to do this.  I'll also forward this to Dana to see if he can find my original email for the other guy that was working on this too.  Bezel on the new switch is aluminum and looks very similar to the original, just not chrome. Key is a key.....

My new switch operates very cool. Old switch was hot when the headlamps or fans came on!

Hope this helps!!! But get out and disconnect the battery!  Also, a quick disconnect on the negative side of the battery is not a bad idea either!

Steve

From: Gary Bartley <G.Bartley at cebridge.net>