[DeTomaso] Dynamat extreme deal on CarDomain

Mark McWhinney msm at portata.com
Tue Oct 9 19:45:01 EDT 2007

The current price for the bulk pack ($62) is good, but the "original price"
is BS.  The stuff is heavy, so with shipping you will pay about the same as
would you could get from a local discounter.  Shipping to my place is $29.
Your shipping costs may vary.

The "door kit" is more BS.  Just buy in bulk and use the extra for other
projects such as firewall, front trunk, floor pan, tunnel, etc.

Dynamat and similar products are sound deadeners, not sound barriers, so you
do not need full coverage.  A 1-foot by 2-foot section placed in the middle
of the door should be sufficient to attenuate road noise and give you that
good old fashion "solid" feel when you close the door.  It doesn't have to
be pretty.  Smaller, disconnected pieces work just fine too.  You could cut
the stuff into 6" tiles and lay down an array of 2 x 4 tiles.

As with everything else, surface prep is key.  The inside of the door skin
should be cleaned and bone dry.  Also, once the Dynamat is attached, it
isn't coming up.  So be sure to lay it down where you want it, and do it so
there are no air bubbles.  Again, several smaller pieces work just fine.

Your local car stereo installer may have some product in stock or may even
just cut you a deal on an open roll in the back.

Check your local Craigslist for deals.  Here is more than you need for $20
up the road from you in St. Louis.
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/pts/409530673.html