[DeTomaso] Mech vs electric oil pressure gauges

fresnofinches at aol.com fresnofinches at aol.com
Sun Oct 7 10:47:55 EDT 2007

All,

I recently searched out a matching oil temperature gauge to the existing VDO Cockpit (1st Series)
style gauges already in 2511.

I learned that the VDO "mechanical" oil temp gauge does NOT have oil in the tube.?
What this gauge is actually doing is measuring the expansion of ether - not engine oil -
in a closed tubing system.? The tubing length is fixed at the factory and cannot be
shortened by the user.

I did a web search just now on this, and found OEM water/oil temp gauges and OEM
water/oil pressure gauges BOTH work on the ether expansion principal.

So if the presence of hot oil or water in the cabin is of concern in your choice of gauges,
determine if your chosen gauge is using actual engine fluid or a closed-tubing ether system.

Larry