[DeTomaso] Techno question: ZF pops out of second gear

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Sun Oct 7 10:45:08 EDT 2007

I recently fixed a problem with my '72 which kept popping out of second
gear--I found the linkage was actually rubbing against the ZF because the
bracket that holds the shift trunion in the engine bay was flexing.  There
is a piece of metal on one side of the bracket that is welded to the frame
to keep the trunion bracket secure, and on mine the weld had broken which
allowed the trunion to shift from side to side just enough that when I hit
the gas and/or turned in just the right way, the shift linkage would hit the
edge of the ZF causing the car to pop out of second gear.  I drilled a hole
through the piece and the frame and put a large bolt in to hold it in place
and the problem is fixed.  (Doug Braun helped me locate the problem by
watching the linkage while I moved the shifter.  He could see and hear the
rubbing, but it took me crawling under the car to actually find the problem.
  There's no way the cause could be seem from the top view).

It's a long-shot, but you might check to see if your trunion bracket is
secure.

Chris