[DeTomaso] Aluminum Spindle Nuts

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Oct 3 15:15:14 EDT 2007

In a message dated 10/2/07 4:57:04 PM, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> The split nuts are billet 6061 aluminum and they use them on off road race
> vehicles.  The price for a pair for a Pantera is $18.  I can get more details
> if anyone has questions.

There have been multiple aluminum lug-nut failures on Porsches and MR-2s
during asphalt track events- in stronger heat-treated 7075-aluminum, too. Front
spindle nuts see much the same loads & stresses as lug nuts, but the brake disc &
 caliper ass'y would probably retain a wheel in the event of a nut failure.
Until I see some long-term data where the nuts do not fail while receiving the
typical zero-maintenence of all street cars, I'll let someone else run these
on their Pantera for a few years. I'd rather see such nuts made of nice strong
steel. FWIW- J DeRyke