[DeTomaso] [SPAM] Wheel bearing issues

F&D Terry gt5s at bcpl.net
Wed Oct 3 14:55:02 EDT 2007

Dick,

There seems to be two acceptable schools of thought concerning preload.
The Corvette shop manuals for '63 forward specify a .001" to .007" free
play to be within acceptable limits for the taper bearing rear uprights.
>From a '63 shop manual, "The tapered roller spindle bearings should have
end play of .001"-.007". Check end play and, when necessary, adjust as
follows." I have owned many of these cars and have never had problems.

Fred T.