[DeTomaso] the first day (NUTS!)Wheel bearings

Dave Doddek pantera at pobox.com
Tue Oct 2 23:42:04 EDT 2007

What seems to have gone wrong with mikes car is a lack of lube.  I dont see
ANY!  If you look at the front bearings on my car, they are sloppy with
grease.  I have not relubed them in 15 years of driving and they are still
ok.  And that is with runs up to 160 mph.  ADD PLENTY OF GREASE TO ALL
WHEEL BEARINGS.  Grease not only lubes the bearing but it cools it too.
Grease in a bearing turns to oil with pressure.  If you only have a little
grease in there, the oil runs away.  With lots of grease, the oil is
retained and if any runs away, there is more grease to move in and make new
oil.

Dave "No bearing failures" D

At 07:11 PM 10/1/2007 +0200, you wrote:
>I have the peen type spindles too on my car. I bought new nuts and had
them milled with six slots in the lip. I then drilled the spindle twice 90
degrees apart like I've had on other cars I've owned. The resulting step in
adjustment is small enough for me.

>What seems to have gone wrong in Mike's case is that the washer between
the nut and the bearing looks like it's begun to spin. Unless that washer
comes loose there is no turning force on the nut and hence no shearing load
on the nut. It's important to A: have a healthy tounge on that washer to
fit the spindle axle groove and B: not have an oversize washer which flops
around on the axle.

>Tomas

to be peened into the slot on the spindle.  The raised part is thin and
will easily erode like yours did if something is not right.  Just a few
minutes with a grinder and a file produces a regular nut.  I get a stamped
steel castle retainer like that used on most cars from NAPA.  Fit everthing
back together so you know the right location to drill a hole in the spindle
for the cotter pin.  The metal is pretty soft and easy to drill.  It's a
really simple mod, you can do both sides in a hour.  Works for me.