[DeTomaso] the first day (NUTS!)Wheel bearings

www.ProvaMo.com Pantera007 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 1 18:34:38 EDT 2007

Mike Drew,
Well I just checked the procedure on my website, and it is correct.
I do remember seeing a procedure elsewhere I didn't agree with.

A common mistake is to torque to foot pounds.  The setting is in INCH
pounds.  (I clearly emphasize that point!)

The old guy technique was to spin the wheel by hand and insure that it would
rotate freely.  (But how hard does one spin it?)  I can't recommend just
this method.

I prefer to torque it to spec.  Then test it's free spin just for back up or
for the fun of it.  With a decent spin mine would roll for a long-long time.

I had a bearing failure, but it was well past the last maintenance task,
thousands of miles actually, so pre-load was not the cause.

Mike (Drew), how long (in miles) has it been since you did any bearing
maintenance?  (Idle years don't count!)

Chuck

Mike,

Sounds like you may have over tightened the nut and put pre-load on the
bearing.  There was a article in one of the Pantera mags or websites that
had the adjustment procedure incorrect.  Can't remember for sure but I think
someone else wiped out a spindle from not having free play in the bearing.