[DeTomaso] selecting torque wrenches?

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 28 11:57:05 EST 2007

I'm looking at torque wrenches have some questions.

  1)  I know that in several occasions I've encountered pretty low torque specs, but I can't remember how low.  I've seen 1/4 inch wrenches with difference ranges.  I think a 30 to 200 inch pound sounds right.  Is there any need to go lower then 30 in lbs?

  2)  There are a lot of digital torque wrenches out there, The advantage I can see is that they accurately display the torque as you tighten a fastener, which may be useful, and I found one reference which said they hold their calibration better.  They do however look like you could damage them a lot easier than a mechanical wrench.  Any comments on them?

  3)  It looks like Snap On is the most expensive, then comes Matco and Mac.  Are there other good wrenches that don't come with an expensive name?

  thanks