[DeTomaso] If it's broke, don't fix it...

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Nov 24 14:48:23 EST 2007

In a message dated 11/23/07 3:44:29 PM, chrisvkimball at msn.com writes:

> I put a towel under there to catch the drips and turned off my heater
> shut-off valves in the hopes that will prevent the leak since I believe that
> should stop the flow of coolant to that part of the car.  I'm not too worried
> about the heater, since I usually drive in warmer weather, but I have two
> questions:
>
> 1) Will my shut off valves prevent the cabin leak?

Yes.

> 2) Will the faulty heater affect my air conditioning, once I get it
> recharged (I have a new compressor but haven't charged the system yet)?

No- unless you allow hot water to flow through the heater core while
simultaneously trying to get cold air. The heater core is in front of and physically
attached to the A/C core, so both conduction and convection transfers heat to
the A/C core if water is allowed into the heater.

The next question- which you didn't ask- is, 'can the heater water valve be
fixed?' and the answer is Yes. Inside the valve top is a tiny o-ring that seals
off water pressure from the engine. As yours is liklely 36 years old and was
cheap neoprene to start with, it is undoubtably cracked. You'll have to remove
the valve from the heater core first. I recommend a flurocarbon rubber o-ring
replacement. The lever that broke is replaceable but not repairable, being
cast zinc (pot-metal). Finally, what you'll find when all is 'fixed', is the
arcs of the dashboard lever end does not match the arc of the heater control valve
, so you can either adjust the heater lever to be 100% ON and not-quite OFF,
or partly ON and 100% OFF. The first adjustment choice will dilute any
coldness from the A/C.   Good luck- J DeRyke