[DeTomaso] If it's broke, don't fix it...

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sat Nov 24 15:08:33 EST 2007

Chris, in my long reply, I forgot to mention that there are two different
water heater valves possible, depending on the year. One has a simple bent rod
that serves as the on/off lever while the second one has a flat sheet-metal
lever that rides in a cam-slot cut into the brass heater valve top. Once
disassembled, the guts are the same and the same o-ring is used. Chuck Engals wrote an
article on repairing his valve some decades ago after much the same experience
as you had. Or, there are replacement valves available at all the vendors, as
well as good used dashboard heater levers. Just be careful to 'back up' the
wrench used to remove the valve, or its possible to crack the copper tube its
fastened to. Good luck- J DeRyke