[DeTomaso] FW: Pantera Starter

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Nov 6 15:05:58 EST 2007

n a message dated 11/6/07 8:31:39 AM, eds73l at hotmail.com writes:

> I went to the Pomona Swap meet here in So. Cal. and got one from a guy that
> sells to one of the venders and I got it for $90.00. It works great and he
> guarentees it for 3 years. The only problem I had was the flange on the new
> starter was thicker than the stock and I got 2 longer studs from Auto Zone for
> a couple dollars and was in business.

You got lucky- the "thick flange" is what you need for many Hitachi starter
adaptions. The Pantera 351-C to ZF approximates the Mustang with an automatic
flex-plate as far as ring-gear-to-bendix spacing. Selecting a starter for a
'stick' 351-C will often give a starter spacing too far inward, the bendix-gear
will grind and evil things will happen. Which is why I mentioned getting parts
from a Pantera vendor, who have already worked out the mismatches and have the
proper parts. FWIW, not all mini-starters have the same bendix spacing.....
Good luck, all- J Deryke